“Ben” is a number-one hit song recorded by the teenager Michael Jackson for the Motown label in 1972. The song, the theme of a 1972 film of the same name (the sequel to the 1971 killer rat movie Willard), spent one week at the top of the U.S. pop chart. It also reached number-one on the Australian pop chart, spending eight weeks at the top spot. The song also later reached a peak of number seven on the British pop chart.
The song became the first of thirteen number-one pop hits for Jackson in the United States and his first number-one as a solo artist.
Later included on Jackson’s album of the same name, “Ben” was nominated for a Golden Globe and an Academy Award for Best Song.
1. “Ben” Don Black, Walter Scharf 2:44
2. “The Greatest Show on Earth” Mel Larson, Jerry Marcellino 2:48
3. “People Make the World Go Round” Thom Bell, Linda Creed 3:15
4. “We’ve Got a Good Thing Going” The Corporation 2:59
5. “Everybody’s Somebody’s Fool” Ace Adams, Lionel Hampton 2:59
6. “My Girl” Smokey Robinson, Ronald White 3:08
7. “What Goes Around Comes Around” Levinsky, Stokes, Meyers, Weatherspoon 3:33
8. “In Our Small Way” Beatrice Verdi, Christine Yarian 3:39
9. “Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day” Henry Cosby, Sylvia Moy, Stevie Wonder 3:21
10. “You Can Cry on My Shoulder” Berry Gordy 2:39